Here’s how we installed Windows 8 Developer Preview on an Acer Iconia tab W500.
- Extract the 32-bit Windows 8 Developer Preview ISO and copy the files to a USB thumb drive.
- Shutdown the tablet.
- Connect a USB keyboard to the tablet.
- Press and hold down the Windows button and the Power button, when the machine starts, press F2. This will display the BIOS setup.
- Change the boot order to boot from the USB HDD.
- Save changes and exit BIOS setup, plug in the USB thumb drive, and restart the computer. You can disconnect the keyboard at this point.
- The computer boots into Windows 8 setup from the USB drive.
- Windows 8 automatically installs all the drivers, except for the Bluetooth and the G-Sensor. You can download these drivers from the Acer website. You also need to download the “Device Control” application from the Acer website (it is listed under applications). The screen rotation will not work both the G-Sensor driver and the Device Control application are not installed.
If you had installed the 64-bit version of Windows 8 Developer Preview, the G-sensor will not work as the driver on the Acer website is only for 32-bit versions of Windows.